Saturday, November 20, 2010

Great Aunt Nancy's Apple Sausage Stuffing

*My apologies for not including a photo with this.  I'll try to take one when I make this on Thursday, but trust me -- you don't want to miss this one!*

Growing up, this stuffing was always my very favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner.  I've since tried to branch out a little and have experimented a bit with some other types of stuffing, but I always come back to this one.  It's savory, a little bit sweet, push-button easy to make, and all around a very satisfactory, delicious addition to the Thanksgiving table.  I never really got to know my Great Aunt Nancy before she died -- she and my grandma were never very close -- but I do very dearly thank her for this recipe that has been passed down to me: her delicious Apple Sausage Stuffing.


Great Aunt Nancy's Apple Sausage Stuffing

Preheat oven to 350.

Soak in a bowl of water:
2 loaves French or Italian bread

Saute until translucent:
2 onions, chopped
pinch of salt

Add and saute until browned and cooked through:
1 lb Italian Sausage (casings removed, or buy bulk sausage)

Squeeze soaked bread of excess water and break into pieces.  Combine broken bread and sausage mixture in large bowl.

Add:
Small handful of chopped, flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup freshly grated (with a microplane or the finer side of your box grater) Romano or Parmesan
2 eggs
1 apple, chopped (any kind -- I've used Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith, and they're all great)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Combine all ingredients well, and place into a large, greased, oven-safe skillet, casserole dish or roasting pan.  Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour until browned all over and crusty at the edges.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...